Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Twitter vs Blogs or why I decided to blog

I never felt the need to blog. Until I discovered Twitter. I know it’s counterintuitive, but hear me out!

Although I am very fond of all the wonderful people I’ve “met” on Twitter, meeting or following people was not my aim at all when I first went on Twitter. My use of Twitter was purely cathartic. Screaming (or rather whispering) my thoughts and opinions into the anonymous Twitterverse was strangely appealing. Unnoticed and unjudged I could tweet any odd gibberish that occurred to me while I fed my baby or did the ironing. The social aspect of Social Media was irrelevant to me.

So imagine my surprise when someone started ‘following’ me, and then another, and then a few more. Suddenly I became part of not one but several communities with shared interests and world views.

What I also realised is that 140 words were just not enough! I hesitated sharing my thoughts because my ramblings would be far longer than the allocated word count (brevity is not one of my strengths). And if I broke a single thought into separate posts, the rapid movement of the Twitter timeline would render that thought incomprehensible.

So. I’m doing the only thing I can think of. I’m starting a blog. And funnily the intent is much the same as it was with Twitter. I need to say it out loud. My friends are busy, my husband sceptical. If any of my posts spark discussion or make someone smile – great! If not – at least I got it off my chest. So here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment